Knit Doily Pattern - Why I Couldn't Leave the Little Flower Doily Alone

Knit Doily Pattern - Why I Couldn't Leave the Little Flower Doily Alone

Are you a knitter who can't knit a pattern without changing something? Me, too. Perhaps the original designer's urge to create a new pattern rubs off on us as we knit. Lots of people have made The Little Flower Doily by Bad Cat Designs out of all kinds of yarn. Most used the original edging of big crocheted loops that block out like airy petals. Nice, but here's what I did different.

First off, the pattern as written made me want to cast on. Why? Because it was knitted. I wanted some practice making a knitted doily pattern before I turn a vintage crocheted doily pattern into a knitted version.

Roughing it.

The pattern calls for smooth fingering weight yarn. So of course a vintage skein of a rough-textured cotton/acrylic blend yarn called Bermuda, made in France, fell into my hands. It was bright white, thicker than the yarn called for and needed a loving squeeze each time I laid eyes on it. Let's see what happened.

As I began knitting, the raggedness seemed rather steam punk. In black, it would please the Make crowd who transform manufactured garments into unique expressions of art.

Feeling edgy.

Ever get that antsy feeling of wanting more? Ever since clapping eyes on the pattern, I wanted either more doily or a different edge--more edge. Turns out it took not one, but two edgings.

After knitting the doily body, I added two rounds of yarn over, knit two together, each followed with a round of plain knitting. It's a super stretchy pattern used in a market bag, so no worries it might constrict the lace. Then what? Another round? Bind off? Neither seemed right somehow.

All ruffled up.

My EZ's pi shawl had a sideways garter stitch edge versus a tight bind off, so I tried that. Five stitches made a splendid edge for the doily, but ate up yarn like a hungry piglet. There was nowhere near enough yarn left for such a wide edging.

Three stitches worked. The edge in no way constricted the lace as established, but it might be a little too ruffly. Before blocking, the edge ruffled all on its own. While blocking, it laid smooth in a series of points. After blocking it needs patted down to lay flat.

Design fail?

Nope. This edge's tendency to ruffle up appeals to me as a shawl. How about making The Little Flower Doily in worsted weight wool for a shawl with a front opening like EZ's Pi Are Square? Why? Why not!

Jared Flood (Brooklyn Tweed) showed us all that a knitted doily pattern can grow up--like a Hemlock Ring Blanket. Brace yourself, Little Flower Doily.


Crochet Flowers - Knit Doily Pattern - Why I Couldn't Leave the Little Flower Doily Alone
0 Responses

Post a Comment